Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oscar Pool 2013 pt.2


Throughout the entire Oscar broadcast, Josh continually checked his phone and giggled while reading his favorite comedians tweet their thoughts on the spectacle of the celebration. 


In a rare moment, there was a tie in the Best Sound Editing category. A collective gasp rolled in from the audience as Mark Whalberg assured everyone it wasn’t a gag. “No BS,” he said.

Adam “MCA” Yauch and Nora Ephron were two of the very few who elicited an audible applause during the memoriam montage that honored well known, and some not-so well known, contributors to modern and classic cinema.

Quentin Tarantino took home the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. “Yeah I know. I know. I’m getting off,” he said as the music began to play… “Peace out.” 

The night’s first standing ovation went to Ang Lee when he won Best Director for “Life of Pi. “Thank you movie God,” he began. Our room exploded after this Spielberg-upset.  Toward the end of his speech, Lee thanked his lawyer and got some hearty laughs from the crowd. “I have to do that,” he said.

Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress for her performance in “Silver Linings Playbook.” She had a misstep on her way up the stage, but shrugged it off pretty well with, “You guys are just standing up because you feel bad that I fell and that’s really embarrassing, but thank you.” 

I’m kicking your guys’ asses,” Josh humbly reminded us, checking off his fifteenth correct win.

Daniel Day-Lewis became the first actor to win three Best Actor awards. “Greatest actor of all time - you can safely say that now,” Josh said. Lewis referred to his fellow nominees as “betters” and thanked his wife for living with numerous, different men (his characters... I'm guessing) over the years.

Michelle Obama made a video feed appearance to introduce the Best Picture category, before handing it back to Jack Nicholson. “And the Oscar goes to... ‘Argo,’” he said with his classic grin.

And the director of “Argo,” Ben Affleck kept it classy with a great speech that not only looked back on his win for “Good Will Hunting,” but gave props to Canada.

Photobomb by Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Overall, I really like this year’s Academy Awards. So often, one film sweeps or at least wins several of the major awards. This year, the major awards were pretty evenly dispersed among all the major nominees: “Argo,” “Life of Pi,” “Lincoln,” “Django Unchained” and “Les Miserables” were all pretty equally recognized. 
“I liked it, Josh said. “He did a good job (referring to MacFarlane’s hosting duty execution). Last couple years have been super boring.”

Garrett came in fourth with 5 wins on his ballot, Annie came in third with 8 wins, I came in second with 10 and Josh took home the gold with 17… but he cheated.


I had a great night. I began this blog thinking I would focus on awards in general, but I‘ve found myself gravitating back to the Academy Awards. I don’t hold a grudge against the Oscars or the Academy’s voting trends. It might seem like I do, but I truly love this celebration of creativity. I don’t see it as an entire community giving each other shoulder massages. I see it as an encouraging pat on the back to those who truly love creating and sharing their work. Of course there’s a degree of overindulgence, but there’s a lot of love too. These people love what they do, and I find that inspiring. 




13 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen "Silver Linings Playbook?"
    How is it?
    By the way, who votes for these things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. ^ That's not what I was trying to do. oops

      I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook yet. I need to. Josh, who won the pool, saw it and said it was pretty good. As for voting, "the Academy" is comprised of various people in Hollywood (actors, directors, writers, producers, etc.) Different individuals can vote for certain categories, but it's pretty much Hollywood's elite voting for themselves. I think the Golden Globes' voting process is far more interesting, with the Hollywood Foreign Press.

      Delete
  2. I like how you brought in your personal life as well as talking about the movies. Even though I did not watch the awards, I did pretty well on the tracking sheet we did in mass comm (You know Geers and his shenanigans) Just from your post I got an idea of how the awards went. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, great job, big Mike. I like the play-by-play quotes from your friends, but I do have one question: Why didn't I get an invite? LOL.

    All jokes aside, this is a fantastic post and it's precisely what blog readers look for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and how it makes me want to have my own little Oscar pool with my friends. I really like how I can relate to this even though I do not normally watch the oscars at all. Great writing Mike, get them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your post Mike. I enjoyed the pictures of you and your friends at the Oscar party and the Twitter timeline, that was certainly creative. Reading it made me want to have a Oscar pool as well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great take on the Oscars, I've tried to watch them with my friends but seeing as I'm the only movie geek in the group they usually give me hell for making them watch it. Your writing style is great, I enjoy reading your blog as a fellow movie enthusiast. The photos and quotes gave this post a personal touch. I'm quoting K-billy's super sounds of the 70's to say that your blog just keeps on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you're so descriptive about your Oscar pool. I almost feel like I was there and the photos added a great element to your post.
    I loved the last paragraph when you explained how inspired you are. Include this more often! It's working!
    Maybe for a future post, you could tell me about some of the movies that were nominated, I haven't seen any!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike, you're blog is so easy to read. It makes me happy. I thought you did numerous things really well. Your use of pictures brought humor and realism into the blog. It showed that you really are a movie buff and that you take the Oscars serious enough to watch them with a group of friends. The fact that you broke it up into two separate posts was also ingenious because it prevents the post from overwhelming the reader. Another positive is your use of AP style. That, combined with your consistent use of good grammar, spelling and punctuation, really makes for a blog that doesn't trip the reader up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the post, Mike. Very easy to read. I love how you added the photos in of Garrett and Josh; this really helps me visualize what you're saying. Good stuff, Hus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the post, but this one seems to be mostly a play by play. That being said, I understand why it was important and I know that this isn't something that is normal for your blog. On your other posts, I love how you go over the film that did win and make sure that we know why before you continue to the movie that deserved a closer look. I feel like I can connect even if I haven't seen either of the movies that are featured because I have a brief look into why the first movie won and you really explain to me why the other one should have, really making me want to see both movies.Other than the play-by-play for this year's Oscar's, I think your blog is very strong.

    ReplyDelete